Green Smoothies and Victoria Boutenko

Last week when I was detoxing from my computer I watched a raw food video that I bought many years ago. This video is of Victoria Boutenko doing a food preparation class. I haven't watched this video in a while. They don't sell it any more but there are a lot of other dvd's for sale. I was extremely fortunate to meet her and the family and hear them speak. At the time I was just getting into raw food and she shared a wealth of information and research. My sister and I sat in the front rows and soaked up all of the information she was talking about. I immediately lined up after the workshop and purchased a couple of books and a video.

The thing I liked most about watching the video this week was that it brought raw food back to it's basics. I love the ease and simplicity of her recipes. I feel the focus is not on gourmet raw, but functional daily raw. So after watching her video last week I found out that she was doing a free talk on Omega 3 this week. Not sure if any of you had a chance to listen to this call? I would love to know what you thought of it?

I found this talk to be very so interesting. The focus was on omega 3 and omega 6 and how our bodies are craving omega 3 fatty acid and how we have an abundance of omega 6 fatty acid in our food. She touched upon a lot of points that she has been researching. She brings up the topic that many raw food diets have too much focus on nuts and seeds which are more abundant in omega 6 fatty acids. She believes that we should be focusing more on the green smoothies and therefore getting more omega 3's which help with inflammation, brain development, vision and flexibility. The only seeds and nuts that she is consuming right now is flax seeds, chia seeds and walnuts. After she switched her diet and removed most nuts she began to feel better and loose weight.

She also touched upon being 100% raw vs high raw. ( Wow can I tell you that seems to be a big topic lately, but that's a whole other post). She also brought up the topic of how there is negative energy sometimes between different diets. For example raw food vs vegan vs non vegan. I do love all of her research but also her honesty. She is sharing a chart with all of her information on the percentage of omega 3 vs omega 6 in seeds and nuts. It is on the Green Smoothie Queen Blog

If you can try to listen to this call it is very interesting and challenges a lot of beliefs raw food. I am not sure how long this link will be available.

Also check some of the products that Victoria and the raw family offer. I did make a few things from her family books including a yummy raw soup and some cookies that I will post about later. In the meantime....drink your green smoothie and get your omega 3's.


My favorite is kale, lemon, apple and sprouts. Sometime a small piece of date is added for my daughter. However after a few smoothies, she doesn't need it anymore.



Love to hear what you thing about reducing the nuts and seeds in your diet? Omega 3's in the raw food diet? 100% raw vs high raw?

6 comments:

  1. I love the Boutenko fam! Read their Green For Life book a few years ago and that started my love for green smoothies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen her talk too!!! She came to my city-such a treat!!
    We don't do many nuts/seeds because of my sons allergies...I do love some almond butter though!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info...thanks for posting about this. As you know I'm not raw but am trying to incorporate more raw foods into my diet, but would love to be totally raw in the future. I have been wondering about eating so many nuts, because I have read that it's hard for your body to digest a lot of nuts. I'll have to check out her book. I do love green smoothies and yours sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky to get to see her talk as well last year. She was talking about the omegas and how she was starting an experiment (that's probably not the word she used) with her weight and flax oil. We do eat a fair amount of nuts and seeds here, but I feel really good. I am high raw and hubby is an omni, so he eats other stuff that I don't outside of the house. She was my inspiration to start green smoothies. I love how she does her own research and figures things out to where they make sense. I'll never forget reading about how important greens are and what a big percentage of the great apes diet they make up, I was in then, I thought this makes so much sense, I can do this, I want to do this! I usually will put spirulina in our green smoothies now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of your comments.

    It looks like quite a few of you got to see Victoria talk and share her research on the green smoothie. So cool. She is updating her book with this new information, but she also put the chart on GSQ''s blog listed above.

    I am not going to give up nuts by any means, however I may adapt a few things after looking at her chart and the omega 3 to 6 ratio's in the seeds. Dr. Oz was just talking about this exact same thing. How omega 6 is over powering omega 3's in our body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still love nuts! Won't be giving those up anytime soon. Besides, I don't eat them everyday. But chia and flax seeds are in rotation here and hope to increase that. Thanks for this helpful post. I knew our bodies are more in need of omega 3 but I forget. I need to be more mindful of that so your post was a great reminder. Your green juice looks so good - great color!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment.